Monday, February 14, 2011

TMM (Total Money Makeover-Dave Ramsey style)


I read this book for book club and am obsessed! Ryan calls it my newfound religion. I am Dave's #1 fan! It is about getting out of debt and living debt free for the rest of your life (including your mortgage!! Who does that?!) I almost don't want to share this secret with anyone, but it is not a secret, it is common sense and discipline. I wish I would have found this 5-7 years ago when Ryan and I got married. Time goes by too quickly, I am sure we could have changed our financial future drastically in that time. I feel that I have always been smart with money, I can't stand being in debt, this book was just a wake up call on how to be better and plan for your future. I actually already followed a lot of his concepts, just out of order which would have gotten me nowhere and realized what areas I needed to work on and sacrifice some things to get there.


I was also obsessed when I heard about Grocery Smarts and so excited to cut my grocery bill in half every month, that wore off so this might too. Since it is fresh on my mind, I am super excited about it, but ask me again in a month and see if that changes. If anything, you will learn something from it and hopefully spend your money wisely. This is a MUST READ, it is an eye opener and very motivating.

2 comments:

Humanist mom said...

Cory and I love this book! For the past, probably 5 years, we have been using a cash budget each month, no credit cards, and paid off all debt (luckily we aren't credit card debt people, but we were able to pay off all of Cory's student loans). We also used Dave Ramsy's methods to save up and pay cash for both of our cars. It was the best feeling in the world! In one year, we paid off all student loans, and paid cash for my car, then the next year were able to pay cash for Cory's car and the feeling of having assets instead of debt, was so liberating!

Another book you would love is "The Millionaire Next Door". You should read it, if you liked Dave Ramsy's book, you will love that one!

Chris and Jen said...

I read this at the beginning of the year before I realized it was for book club. I'm sold!! We are going strong. Chris car loan is gone and mine is almost gone. Then we will start chipping away at our student loans. I can't wait until book club!