Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mistrial

Today at Jury Duty, they released us at 9:45 AM due to a mistrial. I had put my life on hold this week to get through this trial and now I don't know what to do with myself, guess I better start sorting laundry and get back to my routine. I thoroughly enjoyed this experience, oddly enough. They kept saying that most jurors selected say that the experience was very rewarding and happy they did it. I would agree. Yes, it is VERY inconvenient putting your life on hold (luckily I didn't get selected for the 6 week trial that some other jurors in our waiting area were there for). I learned a lot and got to meet some new people. Small world, one of the gals grew up close to me and we went to the same elementary (a year older) and knew lots of the same people. We had great conversations about The Bachelor and "do you know..." along with many other topics. Come to find out she lives close to me now and we have seen each other at the Sand library for story time in the past. It is interesting because you are put in a room with 8 other strangers and the one thing that connects you, you are not supposed to discuss. Can I just tell you how hard that is! So it was a bummer being dismissed today, I was really looking forward to Friday and getting all these thoughts off my chest.

As a juror you are treated with royalty! The bailiff learned our favorite drinks and made sure they were available for us during our breaks, the court stands up for you as you enter the room (which is quite embarrassing having all eyes on you), and they are constantly thanking you for your service. My poor kids, they were anxious to see where we were going each morning since it was somewhere new each day. Thanks to family for helping me out! I am thankful I don't have to be out the door that early every morning with young ones, it is a lot of work!
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! Although I am excused now for 2 years :), but when I see that pink paper in the mail again, I won't groan as much as I have in the past and neither should you ;)

1 comments:

Humanist mom said...

I have always found jury duty to be kind of intriguing. I had the same feelings as you when I went about 2 years ago, I didn't want to go and have to find babysitters for my kids, but once I was there, it was pretty cool. I didn't get chosen for the jury though, because I knew the prosecuting attorney.

My grandma was on a jury a long time ago for a serial killer. They had to decide whether or not he would get the death penalty, and she said that the defense attorney looked her in the eye and said "could you kill this man?" And it freaked her out, because she didn't want the responsibility of ending someone's life. The jury ended up not giving him the death penalty. Pretty crazy stuff that can happen! It is so interesting to do it, but geez, I don't know if I could make a decision whether or not someone should die...