Thursday, September 16, 2010

Transportation

Last year our neighborhood started a little neighborhood preschool where each Mom alternates teaching. It was very successful and fun so we kicked it off again this year. We lost a lot of kids this year to real preschools :(. It went from a class of 9 to 4, darn kids for growing up!

I was in charge of our neighborhood preschool this week and here is what we did...
We started off with the lesson after our morning ritual of clean up, the name song, and the Pledge of Allegiance. Their attention span is quite short so you have to constantly be doing something and change it quickly or they get bored or antsy. So I tried to keep them as involved as possible. The letter and number of the day was C and 2, the subject was Transportation so we matched sounds to pictures of different vehicles, read some books (the book Cars was a hit, they stayed seated and listened to the whole thing), more matching games, and talked about safety (crossing the street with a grown up, looking both ways, wearing a helmet with your bike). I am always surprised with how well these kids catch on or know stuff when I ask them a question.

Next was craft/snack time. I had them glue and color a school bus, we of course sang Wheels on the Bus.
Then our snack included graham crackers with peanut butter to stick M&M's on to represent a stop light. And tractor fruit snacks.

Off to some outdoor activities, played Red light Green light and play time with bikes and other things that go.
You ask what Liam was doing? Well he was content with his bottle of milk, graham crackers and watching the older kids. He will get his turn next year.

Very successful and so much fun. It doesn't take much time to prepare for this. I feel like a kid again setting up a little classroom and teaching but for real this time.

4 comments:

Julie Knowlton said...

I can't keep up with you. When we come back in 2 years, sign me up to take your class. That's right, teacher. I am ready to learn from you. I get to sit next to Liam. And please don't invite any colored kids to the class.

P.S. Dare I say I want that hug? I dare say.

jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jen said...

You are an idiot. I wouldn't want Taedon to come to this at all... please inivte him... please. ;)

p.s. I can't believe Liam is already ONE. He is such a babe!

Eileen said...

These little ankle biters know how to respond because of their good mommies. Good job girls!