Thursday, August 5, 2010

A day in the life...

For those of you that think I am SuperMom and all organized, here is the truth...

(and I know all of you Mom's can relate)

This is an example of how I would like my day to go:

5AM-Get a couple hours of work done while kids are asleep, pay some bills
7:30AM-Get myself showered and ready for the day.
8:00-9:30AM-Kids up, breakfast, dressed, straighten up house, sort/start laundry
9:30AM-Grocery Shopping/bank
11:00AM-The Aquarium for some fun time with the kiddos
12:30PM-Home to feed the kids lunch and naptime
1:15 PM-work on more laundry
2:45-3:45 PM-ME TIME, read a book, maybe a little shut eye
3:45PM-Kids up, go for a walk around the neighborhood, play outside.
5:00PM-start dinner
6:00PM-Ryan home, eat dinner together
7:00-8:00PM-hang out with the family (probably fold some laundry too)
8:00PM-go for a run while Ryan bathes the kids and gets them ready for bed
9:00PM-Kids go to bed
9:00-10:00PM-Ryan and me time (and no none of that you perverts)
10:00PM Bed

This is how my day actually went:

8:00AM-Slept in. Kids were up a couple of times, couldn't wake up at 5AM. Dang it, can't get much done while kids are still asleep. Go pay some bills for a bit.
8:30-Liam wakes up, start working on straightening up the house and find that there is more to do than just make beds and pick up a few things. Give up so I bring Liam downstairs to finish paying some bills. Change and nurse Liam, get him some breakfast.
9:30-Isaac wakes up, get his breakfast ready. Isaac comes out of bathroom and informs me he peed all over himself. Clean Isaac up, clean pee off of bathroom floor thinking I should pull out the mop. Go check on kids in kitchen to find that Isaac spilled his breakfast on floor, now I really need to mop. A horrible smell comes from Liam, change his bum, get him dressed for day, get Isaac dressed for the day. Clean up breakfast and dishes from last nights dinner from Ryan and kids (I had a girls night :)). CRAP! It's 10:30. Windex multi spray will have to suffice for cleaning up the sticky kitchen floor where Isaac spilled and the bathroom floor as well (while on the floor, notice the kitchen chairs have food and fingerprints encrusted all over them, make a mental note to clean them later). So much for getting myself ready, throw on some clothes, brush my teeth, throw my hair in a ponytail, look in mirror, good, wait I really need to pluck my brows, no time, do it later. Pack some treats to help get my kids through the grocery store. Hear the garbage truck outside and realize it is garbage day. Get garbages from bathrooms...see pile of laundry that I need to go through. Finish getting garbages and set by back door. Sort through laundry, start a load. Liam crying because Isaac keeps teasing him. Yell at Isaac. Comfort Liam.
11:00-Grocery shopping time, start getting kids loaded up. Liam, what did you eat!! Change Liam again. See the garbages by back door, throw them out and take bins to curb. Isaac screaming that he wants his Lightening McQueen car. Run inside search high and low to find. FIND IT! I will clean up that mess later.
11:15-Let's try this again, off to the store.
12:30-STILL at the store, Liam getting pretty restless by now. Not having the treats and stuff I brought for him, too tired. Isaac has to use bathroom. Have to head all the way to the back again, while Isaac slowly follows since the grocery cart is too full by now and he can't fit in the basket anymore. Get Liam out of cart to join us in the bathroom stall to help Isaac. Nowhere to set Liam down, so hold Liam AND Isaac so he can pee (I don't like him sitting on public toilets and he is too short to stand on his own). Done, head to front to pay for groceries. Forgot eggs, Liam REALLy getting mad now. I will get them later. Get the slowest cashier EVER! Isaac whining that he wants starbursts. Cute lady behind me trying to entertain Liam, she must know what this is like. Get the darn starbursts (he deserved it, he was a good boy). Credit card machine not working right, of course. Finally figured it out. Get to car and open door for Isaac to crawl in himself, put groceries in back, load Liam, put cart back. Finally on the road, Isaac sitting in carseat laughing "You forgot to buckle me Momma". SCREECH!! Pull over, buckle Isaac. Off to bank. Swing by Mom's to pick up lonely dog to hang out with us the rest of the day. Realize it is 1:15 and I need to feed the kids! Look in back to find Liam asleep, really wanted to feed him lunch before.
1:30-Home, unload groceries, get kids out. Liam wakes up to dog barking. Not a bad thing, now I can feed him. Go to put Liam in highchair and realize I forgot to clean highchair after breakfast this morning. Do a quick cleaning of it. Try to get the cold food away while getting lunch for the kids. Continue to put groceries away inbetween bites and realize I need to clean my fridge. Will have to do later, so I just do a quick de-clutter and throw away old food. Isaac wants to play with dog instead of eat lunch. Whatever. Liam really tired. Go to make him a bottle, no clean bottles. Start cleaning his bottles while chasing Isaac around for bites of his PB&J.
2:15-Make Liam bottle and put him down for nap. Try to get Isaac settled and in his bed too. Finally some peace. Stomach growling because I haven't eaten yet today. Make myself a yummy sandwich, Isaac keeps getting up. Finally get him settled and head downstairs to try get some work done like I was supposed to this morning. Realize I need to switch the laundry. Hear Liam in monitor still awake, that 20 min nap in car was apparently enough. Start working again, Liam finally falls asleep at 2:45.
4:45 Realize I need to start working on dinner soon. Kids start waking up, stop working and plan to do more when they go to bed tonight. Play with them outside for a bit (notice the yard is in need of weeding and mowing, will do tomorrow), feeling bad that we didn't make it to the Aquarium. Take them for a walk around the block.
5:45 Really need to make dinner.
6:15 Ryan home, have him help me with kids and dinner, but he needs to finish up some work too. Juggle kids while making dinner, yell at Isaac again for throwing toys at Liam. Switch another load of laundry.
6:45 Dinner/clean up kitchen after.
7:45 Thinking how badly I need to run, but WAY to tired. Hang out with family instead.
9:00 Kids in bath, get PJ's on, story time. Feed Liam and put him down. Fight Isaac for bed for about an hour.
10:30-11:00 Isaac finally asleep (now you see why he sleeps in), really need to finish getting some work done. Head downstairs.
1:00AM Had more work that I thought I did. So tired! Trip over a basket of clean clothes on my way to bed, I will get to that tomorrow. TIME TO SLEEP!!

Things I said I needed to get around to, but didn't:
Something fun with the kids (make that a priority for tomorrow! Maybe a pool day that way I am forced to shower)
Mop floors (which will involve sweeping too)
Pluck eyebrows
Clean up mess I made while searching for Isaac's toy
Grocery store for eggs
Clean fridge
Yard work
RUN!
Finish folding laundry

So next time when asked "What did you do today?" Here is a rough idea ;)

6 comments:

Lizzy said...

your day sounds a little bit like mine...every day :)

Humanist mom said...

Those "do it all" perfect moms just have crazy skeletons in their closets. I relate to your day :)

Anonymous said...

Go to sleep earlier!! That includes your kids....it makes for a more peaceful night when they are in bed by 8 p.m. You made my day sound like cake!!

Lindsey M. said...

Bless you my child. Now I don't feel like I'm failing at every corner. Not that you're failing...you're failing. Can't wait for the juggle of two boys...

Rachel said...

I'm going to make Dan read this because I think he sometimes wonders why I am so exhausted after he gets home from work. This is EXACTLY how my day goes. way too many "get to that laters" & not enough time to enjoy my kids.

Eileen said...

I agree with Suburban Heretic - skeletons in the closet and denial when you can criticize in the subtle way that Anonymous did. I think you girls are wonderful mothers - loving, patient and kind. When that magic book with answers to all of the "how to raise a perfect child" is published, someone is going to be a millionaire!