Sunday, June 26, 2011

Weekend Cap

While Ryan spent the weekend doing this...


Liam and I spent the weekend like this...

3 day intense potty training began Friday morning. I had everything planned out and ready and realized Friday morning that I really should have planned for Isaac to be busy doing things instead of cooped up with us. Last minute I pawned Isaac off with Aunts/cousins, friends houses, and Grandma (A big thanks to them!). Made it much easier to focus on just Liam, although I sure did miss my Isaac.

I don't tell you this because I think I am amazing and can potty train my kids by 22 months. I tell you this because I am officially a true believer in the 3 day process. Anybody can do this, it just takes A LOT (can't stress that enough) of patience and focus!! I thought I was just lucky with Isaac and really worried that I would struggle with Liam, but Liam has been SO much easier during these 3 days than Isaac ever was. I loathe changing diapers and feel so bad that they sit in their urine and feces often. Liam has had some bad diaper rashes lately, so this will put an end to that! This time I didn't use the portable potty, so gross to clean that up. I would just turn him around on the toilet and let him sit that way. Plus I figure it will get him used to normal toilets when we aren't home.

Day 1: The most difficult. He peed his pants most of the morning. Woke up from his nap dry though, then after his nap he realized what he was supposed to do and could hold his bladder. He wouldn't tell me he had to pee, but I could see it in his face and would rush to the bathroom with only a little pee in his undies. So he figured it out by day 1. As for #2, again, you could see it in his face and as soon as I scooped him up and rushed to the bathroom he would scream, but boy was he clenching those cheeks! So funny.

Day 2: Woke up dry!! But then didn't go potty until about 11:00 AM!! Wow, who can hold a morning pee that long. Well he sure did and boy did he have to go. He still wasn't too excited about sitting on the toilet, would whine most of the time. But I knew he had to go and just made him stay (even though that is against the book, oops!) That happened 3-4 times the rest of the day. Still the same issue with #2, but at least he held it as best he could. I was always too late with Isaac, NOT fun cleaning that up!


Day 3: And here we are on the last day. Woke up dry again this morning. Did his morning potty around 9:30 AM and a couple more times since then. Still a bit timid on the toilet. And doesn't actually say he needs to go, but will look at me when he has to, luckily I know the sign now. And holds it until we get there. He is napping now and we will continue the day at home, hopefully he continues on this path!

I didn't think I would say this, but I will actually look forward to these 3 days with my future kids (or kid). I had so much fun just hanging out with Liam and spending time with just me and him. Not worrying about laundry, housework or anything else.

Now I just need to be daring and venture out of the house, always locating the nearest potty wherever we go! That is going to be a whole other learning experience for him, but I refuse to go back to diapers and am determined to make this work! Wish us luck!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Way to go! You have a lot of patience and it's awesome. Good luck little Liam!

Lizzy said...

Way to go!! I am convinced that Potty Training is the worst job of being a mom. I hate it! So, I give you major props for doing it so quickly!